Sunday, August 21, 2011

Reusable Casserole Cover

Once upon a time, one of my awesome friends left a disposable plastic bowl cover at my house after a party. Although I had seen covers like this before, I never bought them because I thought they were silly. I decided to wash and reuse it after the party 'cuz that's how I roll (see my previous post about my distaste for disposable products). Little did I know just how useful this shower-cap looking cover would be. For those of you that have never seen these silly covers, here an example of one:
CoverMate® Food Covers - 2 Boxes of 8ct Extra Large Size Covers (sold as a set).
I use the cover all the time! It's very handy for covering casserole dishes when there's leftovers (doesn't happen often, but it does happen), and absolutely fantastic for covering bread dough while it's rising. After over 6 months of repeated use and abuse, my silly shower cap was looking pretty worn and tired :o( I didn't want to go out and buy an entire box of disposable covers, so I decided to make a reusable one instead. This one is the same size as the plastic one, but with lots more flair!
It's lined with PUL from the very same mattress cover that I used to make the snack baggies, and covered with an awesome skull print cotton fabric on the outside. There is elastic around the whole cover so it fits snugly on all sorts of different size containers (it measures about 19" square, and is shown on a 13" x 9" baking dish). I just used it to cover bread dough while it was rising, and it works fantastic! It's so easy to clean too- just wipe off or toss in the washing machine. I will definitely be making at least one more, perhaps a bit smaller.

No comments:

Post a Comment